Dangers of asbestos
Asbestos is a naturally occurring silicate mineral, it has been used throughout history as a building material and for other industrial uses. Inhalation of asbestos fibres can cause serious illnesses, such as lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis.
More information is available from institutions like the Pleural Mesothelioma Center: pleuralmesothelioma.com/cancer/
Do I have asbestos in my home?
Unfortunately, before the dangers of asbestos were fully known, asbestos was commonly used in construction products. If your home was built before the 1970s and never renovated or only partially renovated, it is possible some products containing asbestos may have been left behind.
Determining the presence of asbestos requires specialized testing and is not part of a standard home inspection. However, if your inspector suspects the asbestos may be present in specific building products, they will let you know as a courtesy, so you may procure the required additional testing.
What do I do about it?
If you suspect asbestos is present in your home, do not touch it or disturb it in any way. Inhalation of asbestos fibres can cause very serious illnesses. Call a testing and remediation company, they will be able to test the suspected asbestos and propose remediation strategies to safeguard your family’s health.